Monday, January 23, 2012

JVP

I know that by now you'll have read and heard enough, but I wanted to put in my two cents and perspective. For an even better article, check out grantland's piece.

I have never met Joe Paterno in my life. But. He has provided me with more than I can ever repay...education, morals and courage. None of these traits had anything to do with happened on the football field. He's provided guidance in hard times, and a steady lead that one aspired to follow.

I first became interested in Penn State around middle school when I began to understand the rules of football and its complexities. My mom and dad met there, my grandparents met there, and my grandfather's uncle was a professor. My grandfather always found a personal pride in the fact that JoePa was still coaching at his same age. Sadly, they both started to slip around the same age, albeit him with Alzheimer's. I am blessed enough to still have him.

Being that they were the same age, I grew up viewing coach Paterno as a third grandfather figure. To some this sounds completely ridiculous, and to others completely believeable. The tenacity from Saturday to Saturday was inspiring each and every season. I won't waste your time recalling each game I was at, or the extent of my fandom.

What Mr. Paterno would want to hear about is what follows:

-He was the reason I went the Penn State

-He was responsible for a large part of my great education -- financially and literally -- I won a scholarship on an essay I wrote detailing why I looked up to my father and Joe Paterno the most. Once at school, I spent countless hours in the vast library the he and his wife Sue helped fund. At school I took this for granted, but I won't ever again.

-Working at summer camp, it took me four years of building courage to give a lecture in the chapel. I also based this talk on what he meant to me, and what the Penn State way meant in my life. I used this picture to help illustrate my theme. It's always been my favorite sports picture.

Joe never put his finger up to proclaim his team was number one, not once. Maybe it's symbolic since he always put others first.

No comments:

Post a Comment