Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Quick hitters 2/23

Things that interested me today


-Started reading the book 'Born to Run' by Christopher McDougall. About halfway through, but already far and away the best book I've read this year. The basis of the story revolves around a mythical Mexican tribe named the Tarahumara who can run upwards of hundreds of miles per day in rubber sandals and robes.

  • Apparently their fuel is composed mainly from the chia plant. It's like their version of red-bull but really does give them wings, allowing them to run their greuling miles no problem. GNC sells some version of this that you can sprinkle on your food. I must have it. (photo from GNC)
  • They would crush at the olympics; one guy a few decades ago entered them into 100-mile races and they demolished all the records, in consecutive years. Instead of prepping they smoked a few cigarretes and cracked jokes the whole time.
  • The story then centers on a man who decided to take the 'Dances with Wolves' route and live amongst them. He is over 50 and could be considered superhuman after spending one year with them.
  • I felt like running through a wall after reading the first half, but settled for the usual 1 mile on the treadmill and p90x with gatorade. Next time I'll atempt the 100 miles with chia. (yes the same plant as chia pets)

-Penguins: James Neal. Didn't blow anyone's socks off in his Penguin debut, but looks solid. Matt Niskanen had some ugly turnovers, but those looked like they could be chalked up to the new system he was playing in.

-Gatorade Recover. Could taste better, but since I hate shakes and protein bars, it did the trick.


Nope

-Nope, did not like the fact that it took upwards of 15 minutes to turn on the lights (for the second game in a row!) at Consol Energy Center. It was just dead air while the commentators were scraping off the bottom for topics to talk about.

-When did I suddenly become disgusted with The Dave Matthews Band? Is it some sort late-high-school-underclassman-college sort of phase? Sure, their music is O.K. but hours and hours of 'jamming' and a frontman who mumbles his way through the english language. Nope, give me Counting Crows or 90's Hootie and the Blowfish.

-Might have to see the CD's for pennies...no bites yet. At least someone wants my high-school mountain bike. Craigslist is a decent way to get money for crap I don't want anymore, but if I dont find a job soon I maybe have to start selling myself under the casual encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment