Thursday, September 17, 2009

The New Kindle

The newest kindle is awesome. No two ways about that. Anyone who complains about it is either a) an asshat who claims "I don't read" or b) Has bigger issues. Not only is it saving me over five dollars a book, it makes it easier to read with bigger font and saves me shipping costs. Also it saves me lugging around an extra pound or two per book. I've flown through the three of four books I've read and it has almost swayed my opinion of electronic readers.

My English 202a teacher yesterday decided to single it out saying that it would destroy libraries. Really? The Ipod may have gotten rid of CD's, but libraries will adapt. They always have, and not everyone will like the idea of a kindle. It's much harder to fathom than music. Isn't everything moving in that direction anyhow? Newspapers and blogs are people's main source of information and those are both mainly online now. It was the next eventual step, and its only going to grow.

1 comment:

  1. you make an excellent point.

    also - CDs have only been around for what like 20 years? they were easy to get rid of. books are like 4000 years old. there was probably some guy like your professor back then who was like "the use of papyrus instead of clay tablets is going to destroy writing forever."

    also - we have 4000 years of books. the government can't even keep up with 50 years of paperwork. wait, maybe we should let amazon tackle that problem...

    ReplyDelete